Sunday 18 May 2008

Ric's Pics and Thank You

The typhoon seems to have missed us here in Manila and we shouldn't have a problem flying off to Busuanga tomorrow where we're going to do some diving off Palawan and some of the other islands. We've just worked out the exchange rate here isn't quite as good as we imagined but it's still pretty cheap. We found ourselves at a gig last night in a new upper class suburb. Indie kids sound and look the same no matter where you go it seems, they try to look and sound beat and 'angsty' but butter wouldn't melt in these nice boys' mouths really! And as I munched on my balsamic-dressed crispy salad leaves I couldn't help thinking first of all how the place was the absolute antithesis of the poorer districts we've visited and also how there is a somewhat sterile atmosphere to it, compared with London. No sweaty, grimy, sticky, beer drenched, smokey bars for these young rockers. It's just nice. There's something of a facade about it, just as there is with the malls which reveal nothing of the shambolic politics and poverty prevalent elsewhere else.

I would like to thank people who have written anonymous comments and kind words about my blog and pictures and what I'm doing. It's means the world to me.

Here are some pics that Ric took.
http://picasaweb.google.com/bedroomlab/Malaysia?authkey=tRNfVaD_744

Oh and for the record, having just been to a country (Japan) where people don't leave so much as a sweet wrapper on the tube, I think the ban on booze is a great idea though I'm not sure it'll make a huge difference! People drink a lot before they even get on the tube. Nevertheless, go BoJo! I am sorry I'll miss the parties the night before though! Hilarious!

No comments: