Monday 5 May 2008

Diving in KK

After an intense two day Padi course Ric and I are now qualified Open Water Divers!
We have just completed our third day of diving proper on the islands near Kota Kinabalu. It's surprisingly tiring and we're shattered but thrilled and on a bit of a high- that might well be the nitrogen flowing round our systems! Oh, and I am brown!

Our new pal K.K. Chin took us for a foot massage last night. Not sure Ric was too pleased. The three of us sat in throne-like chairs in a candlelit room while three young Chinese chaps rubbed, pummelled, massaged and washed our legs, feet and shoulders. It was bliss. Cost 28 ringits, so roughly 4 quid each, for an hour! K.K. is a bit nuts we think. He's hilarious. So much generosity, energy and spark but never listens to a word we say!

Diving is great fun although for the second time in a row, a valve in my body jacket proved faulty today and I couldn't stop myself rushing up to the surface from 18 metres! Ric thought I'd drowned. I thought my ears were going to explode. Inexperience and slightly dodgy gear were to blame apparently. One learns from these experiences I suppose. Not especially reassuring since things simply can't afford to go wrong at 20 metres! My breath-controlled boyancy has improved massively as a result.

Ric wasn't chundering over the side of the boat today but did have a nasty nose bleed which made quite a mess when he surfaced.

We have seen all sorts of fish, sea slugs, coral and even turtles but this place is nothing compared with where we are going tomorrow. Mabul and Sipadan Islands boast some of the most beautiful dives in the world. We have to leave here at 5.30am (I should be in bed!) so we can get there for diving in the afternoon.

Ric is wondering where and when he can do his Master Diver course.

I'm just thinking about perfecting my existing skills and technique, although this course has opened up a lot of options for our world tour. We're now considering where else we can go for good diving. Much better than shopping in malls!

No comments: