Saturday 31 May 2008

Koh Tao and Night Diving

Another fun day of diving draws to a close here in Koh Tao and Ric and I are rather pleased with how easy and therefore enjoyable we found our first night dive this evening. We didn't bash in to each other too much and saw a lot of sea cucumbers; huge, ugly sluggy things, and urchins, but not a great deal else, in spite of our bright torches! It was quite a challenge using a torch and a camera underwater in the dark!

The scuba centre we're with here is fun. The people running it are eager to get to know us and relaxed. It's funny, everywhere we go to dive (and especially here because it's cheap) there seem to be quite a few English or American people training to be dive masters. This can take months or even years depending on your budget, time, skills etc. Most of those who are training or who are now dive instructors or masters, went on holiday like us and simply decided they didn't want to go home so instead they quit their jobs, stay, fritter (this is obviously subjective but it's what they all say!) away all their worldly savings and live in what you could describe as paradise, making their hobby a job. Admittedly, it is super addictive and obviously a fun sport and I can see the appeal of living in these tropical places. I'm not sure I'd enjoy doing it full time though or teaching other people how to dive. I think the dive sites themselves would become a bit boring after a while.

We have been exploring the island a bit, searching for some diving clothes. I bought yet two more bikinis (as if I need them!). They were less than a fiver each though and I reckon I'll wear them out quickly what with all this underwater activity! Today we also sent a big box of clothes, books and other accumulated shizzle off to my dad's house in Oz. We simply couldn't face lugging our jackets, socks and other heavy clothes around Asia any more. It's amazing how much stuff we'd acquired despite demonstrating what we thought was such such restraint for most of this trip! Now we have plenty of room for more junk, and bikinis!

I still haven't had a Thai massage. Maybe I'll save that one for my birthday in a couple of days.

Ric's working on designs for his games and I'm wondering what line of work I'm going to try to get in to. I think I'll find it very hard to work for someone else again. I do know I must do something that interests and inspires me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you're looking for Diving Jobs, then check out the hundreds of dive jobs avialable at Jobs4Divers.com.