Friday 13 June 2008

A whistlestop in Bangkok


Hello from Bangkok, again, where Ric and I are going to sort out some visas for the next few weeks of the trip. We left London two months ago today. We've packed in a lot in that time and it certainly feels like it's been a lot longer in some ways. We've both had the opportunity to think a lot about our lives and what we want to do next in that time.

My mind has been ticking over dozens of supportive emails I've received and sent in the past week. I'm thinking about writing, my career, this funny business of travelling, loved ones back home, my dog, myself. I feel confused but energetic, healthy, full of ideas which I am determined to make something of. Bangkok seems to have a good effect on me too. I can't quite understand why. It's not exactly relaxing and there are only so many massages and T-shirts you can want. Ric would leave here tomorrow if he could.

We seem to be meeting a lot of people in the oil industry who work for two weeks on a rig somewhere and then have two to four weeks off in which they travel. An interesting way to live. I'd never want to work in that field but it makes me think. Perhaps that's the best way to travel. It breaks it up a bit and makes one appreciate being away more. It's easy to become complacent about the beautiful things one sees day after day. I don't think I could ever tire of the magnificent sunsets in this part of the world though.

The weather here has changed since we left a few weeks ago. Monsoon season is definitely beginning. It tends to rain in the morning or evening though so doesn't affect the days but it does clean the streets and clear the air.

As we were driving in to town from the airport earlier, we came across a sit-down protest. The entire road was cordoned off and reporters and police were out in force. The taxi driver didn't hold back with his abuse of the 'buffaloes' who blocked our way. I don't know what they were protesting about but it was the dinkiest rally I've ever witnessed! See picture.

No comments: