Saturday 21 June 2008

Elephants and Kayaking in Laos




The clock ticks on and soon we must leave this delightful town. I don't feel nearly ready enough to go!

Today we did the tourist thang and went to a local elephant camp where we were able to trek in to the jungle on them for a couple of hours. I'd never appreciated how big they are in the flesh, not to mention tall!

I think they were well looked after there (well they seemed happy) and we stopped plenty of times for water on the ride but I didn't like the look of the spiked prodder the guide was using on our elephant's head. They don't seem to talk much to each other these creatures. Not like horses. They are fascinating to watch.

Then we went kayaking for three hours and passed some spectacular landscape. Ric and I lost the other groups as we went ahead and didn't realise everyone else was waiting for the two older French women who really didn't have a clue. In the end the poor guide had to paddle for them and pull their kayak behind his! I think they felt a bit stupid. Ric was fuming!

I've just finished wandering around the night market here in town, again. Well you see I'd seen a few bits and pieces which I couldn't resist, including a fabulous bed throw, a purse and yet more jewellery! I've got to stop this frivolous spending, especially since our flight back to Singapore to catch the one to Hong Kong is costing a bomb. STA Travel says we can't reschedule our itinerary unfortunately.

So another day here tomorrow before we catch a long night bus to Laos' capital Vientiane which gets us there at 5am. Can't wait!

Although I didn't enjoy the mud at Glastonbury last year, I am rather jealous of friends back home who are getting excited about going next week. I miss my live music!

No comments: