Saturday 14 June 2008

It's bonkers is Bangkok, bonkers

Forgive me if I write breathlessly, I'm recovering after enduring a far-too long taxi ride with a driver who stank of body odour and worse, had Tourets syndrome or something like it, and was scribbling on the windows with a marker pen. To top it all he insisted on playing and singing along to a Thai Country record (yes there is apparently such a music genre!), which was on repeat, very very loudly all the way! Ric and I didn't know where to look or what to do! Only in Bangkok could such a crazy character get a license!

I'm also hugely excited by the news that my clever little brother has just got a First with distinction for his architecture degree! He got the highest mark in his year and also won first prize from the Glasgow Institute of Architects! I've never felt so proud!

Aside from all this excitement we've had quite an interesting day. Not willing to hand our passports and cash over to a local travel centre offering express visa services (I've been reading all about the various scams and hidden costs) we decided to head off to the Vietnamese Embassy to get our visas in person. However, we were told we'd have to wait until next Thursday before we could collect them! This would mean we'd have to stay in Bangkok until then. No way!

So we've booked a flight to Siem Reap tomorrow instead. Time to see some big temples!

We'll try and get a Vietnamese visa in Cambodia instead. I do feel guilty about flying, I really do, and it's more expensive but neither of us could face another 16 hour plus coach ride at this stage.

On our way back to the hotel from the embassy we found another mall called the Siam Centre. Not sure how we missed it the first time we were here as it's massive. The Asians just lurve their sparkling, spacious shopping centres and they are so much nicer than ours! Ric and I are a little unnerved by how much we are drawn to them.

This one was especially classy and impressive with Chanel, Gucci, Cartier and every other leading label and high street brand you can think of, loads of cute designer boutiques, plus a massive food court which put Harrods and Selfridges to shame. There was an extravaganza going on the 'M' floor. A huge flower show devoted entirely to Orchids.

Ric was shocked by the crowds it pulled and couldn't understand why people, young and old, would flock to see and take pictures of some flowers in a shopping mall. I can. I've been to many a Royal Horticultural Society Show in my time so I know just how passionate the green-fingered are about their plants! Most people here in Bangkok probably don't have gardens either so it's all the more exciting for them.

We also watched Kung Fu Panda today. I wasn't that keen on seeing a long cartoon about an anthropomorphous bear but it was very entertaining. Didn't feel the urge to cry in this one, well maybe a bit at the end.

Off to eat some cake...

1 comment:

William Wren said...

id love to be there