Thursday 13 March 2008

Windy Weather and Good News For Cyclists

It's very windy in London this week, and the rest of the country it seems. Aside from damage, floods etc. that means hard work for the few nutty cyclists who chose to commute regardless. This includes me. I have had to jump off my bike several times to avoid lurching in to the cars whizzing by. It's not cold though which seems strange. I'm sure that this temperate but gusty weather isn't typical in March.

People can say what they like about climate change being a myth, inevitable, unlikely, whatever, but when you're on a bike every day, you notice even subtle changes in weather. And there's nothing subtle about this!

If I'm honest though, I do find it pretty exciting. It's a challenge and hard work but livens up my daily commute enormously and a brief glimpse in to the eyes of my fellow cyclists tells me I'm not alone.

Better news for cyclists this week is that the government is going to hand out 10,000 safety mirrors free of charge to lorry drivers in the capital:

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23451715-details/10%2C000+lorries+are+given+mirrors+to+save+cyclists%27+lives/article.do

Not usually one to applaud The Evening Standard it seems thanks must be paid to the paper for demanding the mirrors in its Safer Cycling campaign. Lorries are certainly my biggest cause for concern and of cycle fatalities with over half of all cycle deaths on London being a result of collisions with goods vehicles who just didn't see them. So thank you ES.

No comments: