Tuesday 11 March 2008

Jobsworth

Ok. Enough depressing talk. It's busy at work this week but my interest in Tarquin Double-Barrelled's GCSE Latin and Flavia I-Live-In-Chelsea-And-I-Can Afford-To-Be-Lazy's AS level Art, has gone from limited to pretty much zero. I'm eager to sort as much out as I can before I leave though as I do feel guilty for abandoning my boss.

As much as I long to leave it, the job has given me a fascinating insight in to British education, class, ethnicity and myself.

Among other things, I have learnt that:

  • There are more multi-millionaires living in London than I realised
  • Many of the wealthiest aren't English
  • People are prepared to pay almost anything to get their kids through school
  • GCSEs and A2s are getting easier
  • There are students out there qualifying as lawyers who still need help writing their coursework and revising for exams
  • There are a lot of bored, rich, pushy, competitive mothers out there. Most have a nanny, cleaner, cook, dog walker and au pair. Thank God my mother wasn't one of them
  • Money doesn't make you a good payer
  • Money doesn't make you pleasant
  • Many students think it's OK to pay someone to sit their on-line exams
  • You can't believe everyone who says their child is 'gifted', 'above average', 'scholarship material' - that would be most of them
  • A mother who tells you you are their 'rock' one day is just as likely to shout down the phone at you the next, should a tuition session go wrong.
  • You can have an Oxbridge degree yet still have no common sense and employ the worst grammar, even in a CV
  • Stress is relative. I am glad I'll never have to concur with people who tell me things like: 'you'll never believe the grief I'm going through finding a good chauffer' or 'I'm in agony trying decide what shade of cream to paint the third bathroom in my new Kensington mansion'.

As for myself I have learnt that:

  • I enjoy managing people
  • I am a good negotiator (or bullshitter if needs be)
  • I am patient
  • I never want to work in education again
  • I need to be doing something far more creative
  • I want to work to live
  • I am glad I'm not at school now
  • To never underestimate the power of upper class 'chit-chat'
  • Working alone makes me depressed, morbid and neurotic

No comments: