Wednesday 26 March 2008

Flange Talk

Blogs are strange things aren't they? I only started this one because I knew I was going away and wanted to share my travel experiences with my loved ones. It's something interesting to talk about isn't it?

Ric's on the other hand is actually a useful geeky one. He can share his knowledge of Flex, Flash, Actionscript and the like with other experts. The only language I know is this one, and I prefer poetry at that. I have always been of the opinion that blogs are essentially just published diary entries, ie. solipsistic uninteresting twitterings with no particular structure or meaning to anyone. Flange talk you might say. I find the tone of them disconcertingly chatty. Who are people talking to so informally and openly and sometimes so smugly? Do I do the same?

Since starting this blog I have read numerous articles about 'how to maximise you readership' and 'reach millions in no time' and of course about those who become rich off the back of theirs. Impressive indeed. But also time consuming? Some people must spend hours posting links, pictures, videos, sending messages to other bloggers to increase their traffic, etc.

I don't have time to do that. Or at least, I could find the time but I'd get nothing else done and therefore have nothing new to talk about. I imagine.

I must admit though, even if I don't expect mine to be of any interest to others, it seems a shame to spend all this time writing and allowing my words to be published without encouraging a just a few more people (besides my mother) to read them! So I'm going to have a go...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, there's a terrible irony that the people who have the most time to promote their blogs have the fewest experiences to write about. Great work on yours - consider yourself RSS'd.