Wednesday 12 March 2008

It's wrong to laugh at another's misfortune but...

I couldn't help chuckle when I read about the 'Penniless Pilgrim' who, as reported in The Times last week, attempted to walk to India without a penny in his pocket to restore his faith in humanity, only to find that the French basically told him to 'take a hike'. So he turned round and headed back to England less than a month in to his anticipated 2 and a half year trip.

Mr. Boyle, who is part of the Freeconomy movement which wants to rid the world of money altogether (???!!!) has said that:
"For 28 years I’ve been part of a world where money means security. That’s 28 years of knowing where my next meal is going to come from, 28 years of knowing I can have a roof over my head. But it’s also been 28 years of insecurity, fear, complacency and non-momentary living."

Now, although I don't wish to sound churlish and could sympathise with Boyle's predicament and do indeed agree with some of the good willed principles of Freeconomy, for him to be bemused as to why "no one...spoke the language" and that "they also see us as just a bunch of freeloading backpackers" suggests to me that he really should stay at home and do the walk round the UK instead, as he's now intending. Just don't come knocking on my door thanks mate.

Note to self, try to learn at least few foreign phrases before pilfering food off the locals on my travels.

No comments: