Wednesday 23 July 2008

I come from a land downunder, sort of


Hello from Australia. I thought I'd carry on with the blog for a while longer...

We have arrived in wintry New South Wales, bypassing Sydney on our arrival and going straight to tiny, rural Mittagong which is two hours south and where my father lives.

Men at Work were playing on the radio at the airport - would you believe it?

Our long overdue reunion was emotionally charged to say the least. The sheer anticipation and then relief of being here at last, a country I hadn't lived in or even visited for over 16 years and as seeing my dad for the first time in years was almost overwhelming. We haven't stopped talking since we got here.

The temperature is about 25 degrees less than Ric and I have become accustomed to over the past three months and there has been a biting wind but the sun shines brilliantly here, even in the coldest months and the blue skies, red earth, gum trees forests and miles of gently undulating landscape make for spectacular views.

There isn't a huge amount to do here except go for walks, potter about the town and eat cake in the numerous local cafes. It feels strange to suddenly stop still like this after so many weeks of diving, mountain climbing, flying, sightseeing, eating out, haggling and moving around using all modes of transport, but we are tired.

Ric says this place reminds him of Hale Barns where he grew up (a good thing I think!) and I think I'm still in shock. Not only am I spending time with my father who has changed so much and conversing in the most honest, detailed and adult way, but I am now faced with the prospect of finding a place to live, a job, friends and a bike. How I miss my wheels.

Yesterday we went for a stroll around town and then Lake Alexandra which is just down the road from here. Today we went on the Illawarra Fly Treetop Walk a few miles away and saw some fantastic views across the gum tree forests and Lake Illawarra. Then Ric enjoyed his first meat pie, followed by Violet Crumble (like a crunchie bar but better, naturally) and even a Lamington cake! Tomorrow he'll be getting his first Aussie steak. It's so cold that I've been getting my daily jogging fix on my Dad's electric treadmill in the garage to avoid frost bite.

Already we have trawled the few local shops to purchase the best Merino, Cashmere, Angora and even possum woolens to protect us from the elements and I have been proudly introduced to all the local shopkeepers who seem to be on first name terms with my Dad.

My Dad also took us down to the local booze warehouse earlier and we stocked up on an array of local beers for Ric to try, though sadly he can't drink them himself.

So, another three days here before we head to Sydney where we will stay with my uncle and his family of seven and try to sort ourselves out.

No comments: