Sunday 20 July 2008

Australia Here We Come!

We went to the city Zoo today. The main draw are the pandas who have by far the biggest and most interesting enclosures - which doesn't say much. Some waddled about which pleased the crowds, while others tried in vain to hide and get some sleep. I felt sorry for them. Fancy having all these people staring, shrieking and bashing on their windows all day long! And yet, I myself was there so shouldn't be a hypocrite. I resisted buying one of the numerous Panda souvenirs on sale though. The Chinese certainly love the creatures! There were Panda hats, pens, toys, key-rings, balloons, slippers, back scratchers - you name it!

The rest of the zoo was pretty grim. It felt a bit like I imagine a 1970s built prison does. None of the animals had nearly enough space or variety of scenery and most of the monkeys and birds were housed separately in dingy, smelly, concrete boxes. We wandered around for most of the day but found it depressing.

However, it was a good way to pass our last day in China. Now it's our last night in Asia! I can hardly believe it. At times it felt like we wouldn't last another week on the road or with each other but now the last three months seem to have flown by and the prospect of finding a job, securing a flat, making friends and settling in Australia fills me with a mixture of excitement and fear.

It's been a long time since I saw my father and much has happened in both our lives since we were last together. I have been fantasising about our reunion for months now and sometimes in my dreams. Even Ric is quite apprehensive about it or at least curious to meet the man who produced such a nutty girl.

Tomorrow will be a long day consisting of two airports, two flights and a lot of hanging around in between. No doubt we'll find some WiFi to kill some of that time.

No comments: