Tuesday 8 July 2008

Hello Hangzhou

We've escaped Shanghai and after a relatively short train ride which was far more comfortable than I had anticipated, we have arrived in pretty Hangzhou. There's no smog here and what a magnificent lake! Apparently it has been an inspiration to poets and artists for
centuries.

The hotel we're staying in is staffed by helpful, friendly staff, is spacious, has immaculate rooms and is situated right by the water. What's more, it rents out bicycles which pleases me no end. That's clearly the best way to tour this place as there's a path all the way round the lake and I've seen numerous rental places already, although most of them appear to hire out dinky fold-away bikes. Ric says he wont ride them. I say he will.

We also have a very leafy view from our window (I think it's bamboo); a welcome change from the bleak concrete blocks and grimy alleyways we've backed on to in previous weeks.

The cicadas are making a ruckus outside. I didn't realise they lived this far north in Asia. I've heard them everywhere but am yet to see one!

Upon our arrival here, Ric passed out on our extremely soft and bouncy bed but I got him up soon after so we could venture 'downtown' for some food. I gather the specialities here include all things sweet, fresh and cooked with bamboo. Sums this place up nicely I think.

We must have walked for an hour before realised our hotel is on the opposite side of the lake to where we thought! There are two of the same name it seems! After I nearly has a hissy fit since hadn't eaten all day (trust me - you wouldn't want Chinese train station food either - tinned congee or shrink-wrapped pickled goose feet anyone?!) we finally managed to communicate the urgent need for food to a patient taxi driver who drove us to a small and excellent restaurant he knew of and we weren't disappointed.

This place is obviously a very popular bolthole for wealthy Shanghai-ers. The town is packed with fancy restaurants, hotels and strips of what look like holiday residences.

We've lots of ground to cover tomorrow if we are to explore the place fully, even a few museums, galleries and temples along the way, most of which are free to visit.

No comments: