Thursday 7 August 2008

The wait continues...

No news of the flat yet. The agent seemed to be off work yesterday and today. The cheek of it!

Today Ric, Charlotte and I felt we should do a bit of sight-seeing since we're not yet working or able to furnish our homes. We went to The Rocks, a pleasant area by the Harbour Bridge, where the ferry terminals are, and we visited the so-so Museum of Contemporary Art (which reminded me of the Tate Modern in its frontal appearance and wacky contents - I felt like I'd seen and failed to appreciate it all before somehow) and then we went to the Observatory (good for 8 year olds on a school trip but not all that exciting for us!) and park which seems to be a haven for exercise nuts doing all manner of wacky races. We lost count of the number of lunch-break joggers, people doing sit-ups, press-ups and there was even a group doing boxing. The sun was out for a while as we sat on a bench on the hill over-looking the water, watching the boats and chatting about jobs and flats. It was even quite warm for a while, in the sun.

Then as we polished off our sandwiches, it went icy cold as a massive black thunder cloud crept across the sky and lashed rain down on top of central Sydney (and us) for the next hour or so!

My aunt reckons when it's as icy cold as this, you can guarantee that it's snowing in the Blue Mountains. So far she's been absolutely right!

Ric and I are so eager to have our own place. The fatigue of living out of a back-pack and in hotels or other people's abodes (gorgeous though they may be) has well and truly kicked in. As has the apathy we now feel towards most touristy activities and new places, though we are confident this will pass in a few weeks when we are sat behind desks staring out of windows. Nevertheless, we are anxious, for various reasons, about what the next few months will bring.

Will we like living here, together, in a one bedroom flat? Will Ric find something to do that pays well enough for his liking and/or satisfies his creative geeky mind. Will I find something I can stick to and enjoy and that will satiate my own creative urges? Will I be able to stay on top of my OCD and eating problem and not start abusing food if the new job proves stressful? Will we find interesting friends and pursuits outside work and those which don't involve each other?

I hope to be able to answer yes to all off those eventually. It just might take a little while longer than I planned.

Must remember to take some photos tomorrow...

No comments: