Sunday 27 April 2008

Curries, Crocs and Crazy Dialect in Singapore

I've just enjoyed a fabulous day in scorching Singapore. This morning Ric and I walked for hours around the city, ending up on Orchard Road with its hundreds of shops. The air conditioned malls I usually try to avoid back home were a great relief from the heat.

Ric finally succumbed to a pair of shorts and even some Crocs for his baby-soft feet!

We then went to Sentosa Island in a cable car. Unlike Hakone we could see for miles. The harbour looks great from above. So much blue. The island itself is very touristy and heaving with massive Indian families but fun and interesting none the less and with such a mixture of ethics it's all the more fascinating.

We we almost alone as we walked round the Butterfly and Bug House and then the 'Jungle Walk'. Only once we'd completed our trek did we realise it was actually closed off for repair! The beach was completely artificial, reminding us of Dubai but still picturesque.

I've just had the hottest curry of my life in one of the many scores of eateries in Little India. The range of food here is quite exceptional and all of it whether it be Chinese, Indian, Nepalese, English, Italian, French or any other cuisine, seems completely authentic. And everything is so cheap!

We've not yet dared try a Durian fruit but can smell the damn things everywhere! Both of us are happy I can finally eat until I'm full!

Tomorrow, our last day here, we're off for more window shopping at the huge Raffles complex and then grub in China Town. I'm still deliberating about starting the Larium. It's had such bad press and I'm worried about the side affects it'll cause in me (these include such horrors as severe depression, anxiety, paranoia, nightmares, insomnia and even seizures!). Ric took his first one today and is fine so far.

Singaporeans speak a funny kind of English which we struggle to comprehend at times. They throw in all sorts of Malay, Chinese, Tamil, pigeon-American and other bits of jingo! There's definitely a nuttiness about the place one doesn't find, on the surface at least, in Japan. We like that.

Phones charms and ice tea are as ubiquitous here as in Japan and I'm stupidly excited about adorning my phone as soon as I've bought a new one!

Lots of news back home about friends getting married. I'm naturally thrilled for them and hope I don't miss their weddings, but also slightly scared. It seems very grown up!

No comments: