Friday 4 April 2008

Excitement!

I'm ludicrously excited this week. Not only because I've got just over a week left to go but because it's our farewell drinks tomorrow at a bar in Holborn which I've not yet been to but which has been described by various friends as a cool (ie. not too wanky) place for large numbers (let's hope). It sounds a bit like a shed with two floors and a long sofa. It's the company though isn't it and I can't wait to see everyone. Ironically, I've never felt more connected with some of my friends. So many people still to see for one last time!

Is it possible to be too organised for a trip like mine? I feel I've been somewhat obsessive in my urgent quest to cleanse and organise my life before the 12th April! I have been chucking clothes, make-up and cosmetics I should never have kept so long, sorting and shredding paperwork and the contents of my laptop and even setting up my tax return for when I'm out of the country next year. I've been flogging things on eBay, loading my MP3 player and sorting my belongings in to boxes with idiot-proof labels should I decide to stay in Oz and need them shipped out. I am addicted to my Things To Do List while the Lonely Planets remain untouched. There'll be time enough for those once we've left London.

What else? I could get my hair permanently straightened, my eye lashes dyed and a full body wax so I don't turn in to a banshee...enough!

Tonight I am also excited as I'll be trying Eritrean grub for the first time in a little place off Coldharbour Lane, Asmara. I'm ashamed to say I know little of the country, let alone the cuisine.

One other thing, perhaps the most important thing, I'm ecstatic about (while also in all honesty terrified and doubtful) is the fact that I will soon be breaking the routines and bad habits I have allowed to perpetuate my life in London. Specifically my eating behaviour. I must refuse to allow the beast bulimia to follow me round Asia. It feels a bit like I'm casting an untamable pet off to a rescue centre.


No comments: