Saturday 25 October 2008

Bands, birthdays, booze and a snazzy new bag

I've had a great week at the office this week. I've crossed lots of tasks off my list, had a giggle with V and B and got the whole team helping me find a fancy dress costume for a Halloween party next week.

Yesterday Danny, the company's caterer, shopper, driver, handy man etc., even drove me to an out of town shopping centre to find my ultimate costume. We didn't have any success unfortunately but it was nice to see something new. I must add, since she is now reading this blog, that V took me to Lincraft the day before but it was a bit crap as it was closing down.

I ended up finding the perfect outfit in the absolutely brilliant Chinesey 'everything store', Hot Dollar in World Square, 10 mins walk from the flat! They really do sell everything you can think of, from hair accessories to coat-hangers, kitchen utensils to art and craft supplies, slippers to sewing kits, candles to Christmas lights and even loo roll. I love it in there even though you have t wade through the crap and push past people as you go down the tiny aisles.

I wont spoil the surprise by revealing my outfit yet but let's just say i was be very red and very devilish.

I also bought my first Crumpler bag this week; a little treat to myself for working so hard and with a view to using it on my next holiday and of course as soon as I get back home and on my bike. I just love everything about this brand and the bag is going to last a life time, so they say...

It was the boss' birthday on Wednesday so today we all went out for a meal at the totally gorgeous Catalina's in Rose Bay. We enjoyed an exquisite four course lunch and didn't leave until 5pm! Any anxieties I had about consuming so much food at lunch time soon dissolved as I tucked in to my goats cheese and spinach risotto, hand made pasta and floating islands with Cointreau parfait and creme anglaise followed by petits fours. I couldn't move. Check out the menu.

Tonight I was taken on a blind date (sort of) by a flying nurse (what a cool job!) to The Forum near Fox Studios to see the excellent Bamboos who are an Aussie funk/soul/hip hop outfit. I don't usually go in for this genre of music but I'm always game for someone to have a go at converting me from Indie and I'm so glad i went. They were in themselves a great way to round off the week with their snappy suited look, positive lyrics and boundless energy. They even wowed the crowd with a Kings of Leon Cover. However, nothing prepared us for what was to come (we hadn't bothered to read the tickets). I didn't know what to expect as Roy Ayers and his band came on dressed in an unusual mixture of baggy suits, Africa robes and T-shirts and placed a xylophone in the centre of the stage. I was soon jumping up and down like the rest of the crowd as Roy's smooth voice filled the hall and each band member had their 5 minutes of soloist glory. What made the evening for me was definitely the drummer who did the most incredible 15 minute set I have ever seen or heard. He drummed one-handed, backwards, cross-handed, fast, slow, loudly, quietly, broke a few sticks, jumped up and down, and at the end he even left his stool and started running round the stage drumming the floor, speakers and every other surface he could find. He didn't even break in to a sweat. Amazing.

After a week of rain and cold, the weather is much better today and we're off to a beer festival in The Rocks tonight. I'm sitting here in my running gear trying to muster the will to go out. I usually do three laps of the park at the weekend but perhaps I'll just do one and get a paper and coffee on the way back...

No comments: