Tuesday 26 February 2008

Ice-breaker


Hello. If I don't start writing this blog now, just go for it, I never will.

Having procrastinated for all the years since I left university, filling up countless notebooks with my scribbles and thoughts and half-formed plots, waiting for the right moment to organise my words into a novel, worrying about style, form, plot, aphorisms, or worse, solipsism and the fact that what ever I say has been said before a hundred ways anyway, now seems as good as time as any to crack on.

In fact, this is a perfect time as I am soon to be leaving my life in London behind to go on an adventure. I don't expect to 'find myself' or 'get happy' or realise what on earth I really want to do with the rest of my life but it will be a good start and hopefully a lot of fun.

On Saturday 12th April I will kiss my trusty bicycle (and my mother) goodbye and set off from my frenzied patch of South London heading first to Japan, then South East Asia, then China, ending up in the place I once called home, Australia. What I do when I get there aside from visiting family remains to be seen. But I'm not worried about that, just yet.

There's much to sort out before I leave. My 'Do To List' seems longer each day:
'Get Chinese visa, lodge Oz passport, jabs, insurance, storage, switch bank and phone accounts, book hostels, open new ISA, Japanese Rail Pass, take clothes to Oxfam, redirect post, set up online Tax Return etc. etc.' Not to mention all those I intend to catch up with for one last time, friends who have overwhelmed me with their encouragement and travel advice.

Soon however, there'll be only one reference point, or rather three large Lonely Planets. In little over a month just getting from A to B (without getting lost, sick, bitten, kidnapped, robbed, arrested etc.) will be my chief concern and I can't wait.

I have talked about being in a rut for a long time now, probably boring loved ones to that effect. I'm not unique in carrying numerous fears, anxieties, frustrations and feelings of guilt around with me. It would be inhuman not to. Now though it's time I shook everything up a bit. Let's see what happens.

And now a poem (well this is a blog)

'The Journey'

One day you finally knew
what you had to do, and began,
though the voices around you
kept shouting
their bad advice --
though the whole house
began to tremble
and you felt the old tug
at your ankles.
"Mend my life!"
each voice cried.
But you didn't stop.
You knew what you had to do,
though the wind pried
with its stiff fingers
at the very foundations,
though their melancholy
was terrible.
It was already late
enough, and a wild night,
and the road full of fallen
branches and stones.
But little by little,
as you left their voices behind,
the stars began to burn
through the sheets of clouds,
and there was a new voice
which you slowly
recognized as your own,
that kept you company
as you strode deeper and deeper
into the world,
determined to do
the only thing you could do --
determined to save
the only life you could save. (Mary Oliver)

No comments: